Wednesday, December 8, 2010

RADVENT - Playing

On the seventh day of Radvent, Megan Hunt gave to meeeee - an assignment to write about playing!  What were your favorite games as a child? What did you like to do with your classmates or the neighborhood kids? How did that affect the person you grew to become?


I loved playing when I was younger - and what else can you do when your parents refuse to buy you video games?  My elementary school (which is directly behind my parents's house) used to have the most fantastic playground, which included a two store "tower".  Unfortunately, the insurance company felt it was fantastically dangerous (what's wrong with a pole that kids slide two stories down or metal slides that heat up to scalding in the sun?) and they tore it down.  We loved playing house in it - during recess, after school, on the weekends.
 
Karin and I played a lot with Barbies, legos, dolls, my little ponies, and just about every other toy you remember from the 1980s and 1990s.  We shared a room and it was constantly TRASHED from all the playing.  My favorite part of playing with Barbies, dolls, and my little ponies was brushing and styling their hair.  When I was younger, I wanted to be a hairstylist when I grew up.  I was told that doesn't make good money (lies) and now I'm an auditor (I like my job now, promise).

Banana microphone

One other thing I love to do - dress up.  Sometimes in my mom's old shoes and hats that she let us play with.  Sometimes my poor little brother was a victim of Karin and I dressing him up (as not a boy).
 
Now that we're all older - there is still one game my family plays.  Scrabble.  My uncle loved playing it with everyone (he was crazy smart).  He passed away almost four years ago and we still carry on the tradition of playing it at holidays and when we get together.

No comments:

Post a Comment