Saturday, January 16, 2010

Things that I love...

At the inspiration of my friend Megan Hunt, I set out last year to change my shopping habits, specifically as they relate to clothes. I was one of those types that just trolled the Banana Republic Online sale section on a routine basis and ordered what was on sale (in several colors). Some of it got sent back if it didn’t fit, but a lot of it stayed in my closet. Here is where that got me:





And surprisingly, I often had the feeling that I had “nothing to wear”.
So last summer I decided to stop buying clothes for the rest of the year. This decision was made initially because I started tracking my spending in 2009 and was a bit disturbed at what I had already spent by June. It was a little hard at first – but once I committed to not buying anything it was surprisingly easy to stick to it. I think a big success factor was that I had told people my plan – I had, as my sister calls them, “accountabilibuddies” to keep me on track. Since I told enough people I was going to do this, the thought of having to admit I slipped up seemed downright embarrassing.

So anyway, back to my inspiration! My friend Megan Hunt builds her wardrobe using the advice of one Tim Gunn: only buy clothes that you love. That way, you love everything in your closet and you never have to feel like you have nothing to wear. I wanted this attitude and I wanted to be excited about wearing what was in my closet. I wanted quality – not quantity.

So one of the things I’ve bought since my self-imposed ban was lifted (that I love!) is this ruffle-collar dress I snagged at a J Crew Outlet in Denver.


I am in love with ruffles – especially on collars. And bows too if you can’t tell from my shoesies.


And suddenly I’m on the prowl for dresses I can wear to work. Pants and I are having a harder and harder time agreeing on how I should look. Not sure if I’m developing my “womanly” body and everything is shifting around or if through this recent revolution I’ve just decided I don’t love many of the pants I have. Either way, I think its best we just see each other once and awhile for now.

3 comments:

  1. I am so with you on the buying doubles of everything/comfortable/plain things!!! NEEDS TO STOP! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha @ the pants dilemma...I have the same exact problem. Sometimes people are like "wow you are always so dressed up." No, it's just that pants never fit me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah it is such a hard habit to break! I so often find myself wanting to order the same shirt in five different colors - I almost did it last week already!
    I am really starting to love wearing dresses with tights or skirts with tights. I hardly ever wear pants to work these days. I just need more casual dresses and skirts for the weekends sometimes.

    ReplyDelete