Monday, May 24, 2010

Flip That House...literally!

So Joe and I (might have been more brought on by my whining) decided to rearrange our house.  Since March 26, 2004, the day I bought this house, I have lived in my basement.  The sellers had converted the basement to a bedroom - including a full master bath with a whirlpool tub (which I've used maybe five times).  Jen and Megan lived with me for a bit, then Karin moved in, then Joe, and then Jessica stayed with us for a bit.  Through all that - my (and now our) bedroom has been in the basement.

Here's the bed side of the old room.

And here's the closet/bathroom entrance.

It was a nice room - very spacious, big closets, always cool.
But it was time for a change.  Time to be grown ups and stop living in our basement!

So we decided to rearrange the house.  And I mean the whole house.  Upstairs there are three rooms:  one was the guest room, and then we each had an office.  So the plan:  move our room to the guest room, move offices downstairs, turn one office into a guest room, and the other office into a dressing room.
Good Lord I haven't moved furniture like that since I moved in.  But then I had a LOT of help.  This was all Joe and I.  And we are SORE.
Here's the photos of what the guest room looked like.  I should mention it was Jen's room for quite awhile.  Gotta give her a shout out for those awesome paint colors!  I really liked the colors, but we have a king sized bed and the room would've looked like a tiny cave if we kept the colors the same.

So Joe removed this hideous fan - and yes I'm embarrassed it took six years to get rid of it!

I'm so proud of him - installed it almost all by himself!  He was so determined to beat that thing!

Removed the old trim (new trim photos to come when we get that done!)

Painted the room a bright, neutral color to make it look bigger.  Painted THREE COATS on the ceiling (awful task by the way!) and the walls. 


Brought up a ladder shelf from our old room to use as a nightstand (still need to figure out a tiny stand option for my side of the bed).  Brought the curtains up with us as well.

We just got the bed too - I'm pretty stoked to have a headboard and footboard finally!  I feel like such an adult now!  Ha!
Looks like the ones I always want from Potterybarn (like below) - except instead of paying $850 +$150 shipping I found ours on overstock.com for $350 + $1 shipping! Plus it had an average of 4.9/5.0 rating from 80+ reviews!

Stay tuned for the rest of the home makeover!

3 comments:

  1. Holy crap that looks like a lot of work but it was worth it! Looks great honeybee! Xo Rah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sarah! It was a TON of work and there is still so much to do! But it's great to have one room almost complete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks awesome! can't wait to see the rest!!!

    ReplyDelete